Archive for July, 2018

I did a video about the GT-1000 pedal that now replaces my old pedalboard. Showing what I like and what I don’t about it. For more detail watch that.
For people who’d rather read things, here’s the executive summary
  • Generally I really like it. It replaces my main pedalboard (with one caveat … later). I love the flexibility of dynamic remapping and the portability. My new layout is just 3 pedals
  • I use both sends (as mono).
    • Send1 is the SY-300
      • allows me to use it in parallel (for drones)
      • and in series (as an effect)
    • Send 2 is the looper
  • I don’t much use the built-in looper as I’m used to the flexibility of the Infinity
    • This one is very basic.
    • Possibly improvements (from things I use on the Ininfity)
      • Sync to MIDI
      • Fade on stop
      • Reverse
    • Any one of those would be a nice addition
  • MIDI clock is great for consistent delay times etc
    • I use this all the time, SY-300 master clock
    • MIDI Control – cyborg violin – this will be a later video
  • Only 3 ‘FX’ slots seems paltry, but use different presets or change type dynamically.
  • Use the ‘stompbox’ feature. It will save you a lot of time
    • especially when switching patches (as above)
    • Set the stompbox *before* you start editing, or you’ll lose the settings!
  • Dynamic switching between paths can be effective if used carefully with violin
Small beefs
  • The knobs are less useful than I’d like
    • Global setting rather than per-patch
    • Only shows second part of label so not always clear what they do!
  • Not sure how useful ‘INT Pedal’ is
    • Was hoping for something more like the SY-300 fade in/out feature
    • But it’s a thing all the BOSS multiFX boxes have so presumably it has some use!
  • Biggest beef – The pitch shifter sound really awful – like terrible, like REALLY FUCKING HORRIBLE!!
    • Not sure why, the BOSS PS-5/PS-6 shifters were the best of all
    • I ended up using the SY-300

UPDATE: I just tried the pitch shifter on my guitar (in case the violin harmonics were triggering something bad) but no. It’s still TERRIBLE. I have no idea how this got past any form of quality assurance procedure.

  • Bluetooth app is too slow to be useful.
  • MIDI DRIVERS for the computer – why the hell does it need drivers?!

Read Full Post »

2018-07-04 15.06.07

My Cyborg Violin project has been on hold for ages now. To briefly recap, it’s an old Bridge Aquila electric violin with all sorts of sensors on board that transmit information using OSC over Wifi. The idea was to use the movement of the instrument and my body to affect the sound of the violin effects as I was playing.

There were a few reasons why it was never as successful as I’d have liked.

1. I never mastered the complex maths of converting the IMU data into usable movement information. There was instructional material on the internet but it needed converting into Max – which I was using inside Ableton. As a result the modulations were always very rough and extremely hard to control.

2. Latency. Using live effects inside the computer has terrible latency problems. I only did one gig using the cyborg violin and modulated effects and it had to be a slow dron-ey piece because of the delay between playing a note and it appearing in the speakers. [Please don’t write to me about how to reduce latency, I know all that stuff and it’s still not good enough for me].

2.5 I did do one cyborg violin gig where the movements modulated a synth instead of violin effects and that worked a lot better (though see 1 above) because I could use my normal violin effects boxes. But it wasn’t really the point of it all and it made the sound changes one step removed from what people were seeing me do.

3. It needed a laptop on stage. And I decided, for other reasons, that I hated having a laptop on stage.

So, the project languished until recently when it occurred to me that the GT-1000 had MIDI input that could modulate the effects in real-time. As I’m also still adding new features to my Raspberry Pi MIDI router (a much more successful project that I use as standard for both CSMA and Helicopter Quartet) it occurred to me that I might be able to send the OSC data from the violin to the ‘pi’ and turn that into MIDI for the GT-1000!

While figuring out how that might work, I also found an open-source C function that would do a far better job of converting the IMU data into movement information. I dropped that into the midirouter software of mine and started coding the rest of the system up.

It seems to work well – the ‘Pi’ sends fixed MIDI CC numbers for the 3 movement directions of the violin, the softpot on the neck, and light sensor on the body, then GT-1000 maps those to relevant effects set in each preset. The switches on the side of the violin, as before, change the style of the LED display on the headstock of the instrument. There’s no possibility of audio-to-LED as I had before as the ‘pi’ doesn’t deal with audio so I make it interpret the movement data instead. The ‘chase’ animation is tied to the MIDI clock so it always spins at an appropriate speed. Thanks to a better maths, the movements are now very smooth and slick. if I don’t move – the numbers don’t change!

I need to work out which effects I want to be affected by the modulations and set of a proper GT-1000 preset and then I’ll do a demo of it working. That won’t happen for a week or so at least because of other commitments, but the cyborg violin is now truly resurrected!

Read Full Post »